I hesitated to post this a couple weeks ago...Sorry...
It was Monday night...our family night...Family home evening...(as we are Mormons-Monday nights are times we spend time as a family and play games, have a mini lesson, sing songs, and we can't forget ...have a yummy dessert)... okay...now that I've explained that bit of our lives...here we go!
As Brent was giving the lesson, the kids were on the couch yawning and seemed half awake. Hmm...This isn't that bad of a lesson... The kids had to stand to read the scriptures they were given to read since they weren't keeping up with the lesson. More yawns....grr...what's with these kids?...were my thoughts....
Finally, the lesson's over and it's my turn to pick our closing song....Guess what I picked?
"The wiggle song!"....yes...I know my kids are too old to sing this song. Alycia's almost 12 and Joseph's almost 10...It's just....they used to ALWAYS want to sing this when they were young, and since they're my ONLY kids, I figured....why NOT? right???
Everyone sang and did the wiggling of the fingers, toes, shoulders, and nose....All except my tween Alycia...Well, in our family if you don't participate you get to sing a SOLO...So guess what Alycia had to do...Yup, sing a solo for us. It was the straw that broke the camel's back for her. She cried throughout the whole song. It was the saddest wiggle song I ever heard, with tears and everything...(Brent and I felt horrible)...
Both kids gobbled up their dessert and went straight to bed. I was surprised. They Chose to go to bed 7:30. They were asleep by 7:45! We were SHOCKED. What was so different in their schedule to make to go to bed so early??? Ahh....the pool. The kids swam in our pool all afterschool....THAT'S what exhausted the kids...duh....
As for singing the Wiggle song....I don't think I'll pick that one out again...I will no longer think of it as a happy song from now on....Whenever I hear or think of it, I'll always have Alycia's sad version of it...
2 comments:
Oh my! Sounds like Alycia has some mean parents! ;) I remember Brent picking the wiggle song when he was in high school because it was the shortest song. So, maybe your kids will enjoy it again in a few years...
Yeah, I think that Brent choosing the wiggle song is what made Dad make the rule that all the songs had to come from thy hymnbook.
Post a Comment