Scout camp 2011

Click here to view this photo book larger

Shutterfly photo books offer a wide range of artful designs and embellishments to choose from.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Oh so busy....

This is week 3 of my kiddos going back to school. They're doing well. There hasn't been one complaint about it starting so early...I wonder if they were tired of the many chores I had for them to keep them busy.

Alycia's in 7th grade and is not thrilled about the many projects she has to do. The workload and expectations can be a bit overwhelming for her at times. She's doing 9th grade Algebra now and hasn't really struggled with it...yet. She came to me the other day and asked a question on her math homework...

"ahh...I just finished up my Intermediate Algebra just last semester..I should know how to do this"....were my thoughts.
...click....I was actually able to help her. After I answered her questions, I directed her to Brent...the math wiz...He enjoyed helping her, and they even had a few laughs. It's so nice when she comes home from school and tells me about her day. I don't remember having these conversations with my mom, she was always at work and I was a latch-key kid. I think I'm a hip mom, since she likes to wear my t-shirts and jeans. Yes...she can fit into my clothes. She's taller than my 5 foot self and my jeans are getting to be too short. Scary, huh? The one thing we're thrilled about is, we now have full access to her grades via the school's website. Missed or late assignments...hah! You can't hide that from us missy! She is not happy about this...and I personally wouldn't be either. I'm so glad they didn't have this fancy technology back in my day. Well, she missed the bus this week. You may ask yourselves why? Jamba Juice. Jamba Juice was at the Jr. high after school, so she decided to buy herself a smoothie. I have a very resourceful little gal...That morning she gathered up all her pennies, stuffed them into a ziplock bag and paid for her smoothie with her change. Yes...$2 whole dollars worth of pennies. She said the guy behind the counter's jaw dropped, gave her a look like "what am I supposed to do with this?" and proceeded to count the 200 pennies. Mind you, there were a ton of kids waiting anxiously to order their smoothie. Well, by the time she got her smoothie, ran to the bus area, her bus was leaving. She even ran alongside the bus...oh that mean bus driver! (were my thoughts).. I hope she learned that time doesn't stand still when you need it to, and neither does the bus....

As for my little guy Joseph, he's really enjoying school. No complaints so far. His teacher is a very kind and patient lady. Joseph's best friend is in his class and they're both happy about that. He'll be turning 10 tomorrow and just had a birthday party. It was a swim birthday party with 6 of his friends attending. I seriously thought I was going to cry this morning, not over the fact that he'd be turning 10, but the rain...There was a monsoon storm that hit last night (I spent all morning yesterday cleaning and spraying the deck in 108 degree heat)...Grrr...When I woke up this morning it was raining. What was I to do with all those boys if it continued to rain? It almost NEVER rains here! We live in the desert! (sniffle, sniffle) ...Well, great news! The rain stopped and the party went as planned... I wish I remembered to take pictures. Brent took a video of the birthday cake festivities...what a great hubby I married...

As for an update on Brent, he's enjoying being the Scoutmaster. He plans on taking the boys camping late September, once he's done with training. It's been weird not having him at home some weeknights and weekends due to training and 0ther youth activities...I guess I didn't realize how much I miss having him here at home 'til now...

As for myself...I'm finished with Joseph's birthday party and Alycia's is next! It's going to be a sleepover/swim/birthday party. The stress is on! We have a theme, but I just need to get the party supplies. I start school on Monday...Anatomy and English 101 are the courses I'm taking for the semester. I think Anatomy will be interesting as well as very difficult. As everyone knows, I'm all about getting great deals. Well I must boast a bit. At the campus bookstore they were selling my Anatomy textbook for $215, I found the international version online for $80...and that included shipping. Hah! Take that campus bookstore! As for my English class, I'm not happy I have to take it since it will require a lot of writing. I do enjoy writing, just as long as the subject interests me. A thought just occurred to me...English 101 is a freshman class. ugg...I'll be dealing with freshmen...they can be soo annoying! Okay okay, I will stop my grumblings. (deep breath...exhale) Much better.

I hope this next week goes well...It will be utterly stressful and busy... I have enjoyed the break from school to spend time with the family and getting to know them better. My family is what's the most important thing in my life...and I have treasured these brief 3 months I have had to spend one on one time with them... Now I need to get back into school mode...not fun...

Wish me luck! I will seriously need it!

1 comment:

Kara said...

Good luck, Anna! You will do great. I'm sure! You are amazing! I don't know how you do it all plus go to school!!

That etiquette dinner sounded so fun! What a fun activity for Alycia and Brent! I know for a fact my son would have been one of the deacons hiding in the bathroom :)